1. From 29 December 2016, commuters using the Punggol LRT East Loop of the Sengkang-Punggol LRT (SPLRT) can look forward to a more comfortable ride with the start of two-car operations, especially during peak hours.
2. The Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SBS Transit (SBST) have completed the upgrading of the Punggol LRT to allow two-car operations, effectively doubling the capacity of each train to 204 passengers. Starting 29 December 2016, two-car trains will operate in both directions on the Punggol East Loop during the morning and evening peak, from 6.45am to 8.45 am in the morning, and 6.15pm to 8.15pm in the evening. Service frequency will be maintained at three to four minutes during morning and evening peak hours.
3. The two-car system has been tested during off-peak hours since 5 December 2016. Over the next few weeks, SBST staff will also be on board the two-car trains to attend to any potential technical problems promptly. The Punggol LRT West Loop will be converted to two-car operations at a later date.
Opening of Punggol Point LRT Station
4. From today, Punggol Point (PW3) Station on the Punggol LRT West Loop will also begin serving commuters from the nearby residential estate, as well as residents from upcoming HDB developments. The neighbouring Ponggol Seventeenth Avenue Estate will also be connected to the station. Samudera (PW4) Station will open in March 2017, while Teck Lee Station (PW2) will open in tandem with the developments in the area.
Sengkang-Punggol LRT fully upgraded
5. In January this year, the Sengkang LRT was upgraded to allow two-car operations. Together with the latest two-car upgrade in the Punggol LRT, SPLRT will be able to run at higher capacities to meet rising ridership to better serve the transport needs of the vibrant and growing population in both Sengkang and Punggol.